Tuesday night was really bad. J called me around 10 (maybe? I've been up late with this every night, so the time kind of blurs.) and was sobbing. The only thing I heard when I answered the phone was her sobbing and gasping for breath. She had been hitting the walls with her arms (I saw the bruises yesterday) and had also been cutting again. Her 16-year-old sister happened to be home for once and tried to get her to unlock the door to no avail. J was at the end of her rope and kept repeating that she just wanted to die so she wouldn't have to deal with the depression and hopelessness anymore.
I did the best I could to keep a calm voice, but my whole body was shaking the entire time I was on the phone with her. In fact, I was still shaking for about an hour after we hung up. But God is faithful and provided the opportunity for me to share some of my own story with her. She feels so abandoned by her mom, which is understandable because they rarely see each other, and J is home alone 9 nights out of 10 for the entire night. I was able to talk about how my dad skipped out on a lot of my life for several years and how that's when I really began to depend on God as my Heavenly Father. She had also mentioned that she felt like things would never be any better, and I took the opportunity to tell her about my dad going to jail for two years. At the time, it was embarrassing, and I didn't think it would help. Now I can see that it was probably the best thing that could've happened to him (and our relationship, for that matter). I don't know if this encouraged her or not, but it gave her time to calm down a little and get some perspective.
We talked for over an hour Tuesday night about what kind of choices she has, how I can only help her so much without parental involvement/consent, and about taking things one day at a time. To be honest, I wasn't sure she had heard a word of it; I was just trusting God to carry her through. I knew she hadn't been eating, so before we hung up, I offered to bring her some of our leftover pasta for lunch. I don't know why I did this, but I just felt like I needed to meet as many of her needs as possible.
Well, she showed up for lunch yesterday looking like crap. You could really see the struggle on her face. She stared blankly at the wall for most of my conference period. (She has senior out, so she didn't have a class to be in.) She ended up staying in my room for the last period of the day and ate ALL of the pasta. :) She was in a better mood as she left school yesterday, but I was expecting another bad night.
God took care of it. J called me about 10:00 to say that she had called her dad and told him she didn't want to be home alone...and he came and PICKED HER UP. Hallelujah! :) They went out for ice cream and talked a little before he took her back to his house. She didn't tell him about the cutting, but it's a start. She came in this morning (SO happy - I could see a difference in her demeanor immediately) and told me that they're going to make it a weekly thing. I was so proud of her for taking a step to get help.
I had dinner tonight with some friends, and now I am more than a little paranoid about this situation. I know that I have approached this with the best of intentions, but I'm not sure how well I've covered myself legally. I was under the impression that as long as I told the counselor, I would be covered, but now I'm not so sure. Please pray for me. I am literally sick to my stomach about all of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment