I do not begrudge the counseling job. In fact, it remains heavy on my heart and is the main reason for this post. About a week and a half ago, a former student of mine, J, confessed to me that she has been cutting herself for the last seven years. I taught her last year and got to know her pretty well, or so I thought. She has been dating another one of my former students, L (also a girl), on and off for about 4 years. They have a toxic, selfish, explosive relationship. J's mom works the night shift, and her father has remarried and lives about 20 miles away. Many, many things have built up to bring J where she is now. J and L broke up again last week, and J says she is ready for it to be final. She went to church with me two Saturdays ago, so she is obviously hungry in that area as well. J is home alone most night for hours at a time, which is not good in the current situation. She says she knows she needs therapy but is scared of being readmitted to the hospital (she went twice freshman year). While researching the topic online, I came across To Write Love on Her Arms, an organization that addresses people who self-injure. It actually linked to a counseling program in a nearby city, and I called today for info. J's dad actually lives in the same city.
Please pray for several specific things:
- that I will speak only God's love/words to J
- that J will follow through with therapy of some sort
- that all of the requirements line up for the best therapy available to be possible
- that J will avoid L
- that opportunities will come up to share about Christ's redeeming love with J
No comments:
Post a Comment