Monday: I spent my time from 8:00-2:00 at a district workshop for English teachers. We learned how to use children's books as a tool for teaching various things in our middle/high school classrooms. (Side note- district workshops make me anxious for some reason. I always feel overwhelmed and vastly inadequate before, during, and after them; this one was no exception.) After the workshop, I went home and cried. I kid you not.
Tuesday: Day 2 of the district workshop. This time, we separated into groups by campus and learned about Thinking Maps. My department already uses two of the maps frequently, but it was helpful to practice with the others. I will actually use the ideas from this workshop. (Sadly, this is not always the case.) After lunch, I was told that I have one class of senior English. This caused much anxiety for about an hour, but it then subsided into mild anxiety that continued until Thursday. After the workshop, Deanna and I ran errands before going to the teacher meeting at our tutoring job. Thankfully, they feed us and pay us for attending these monthly meetings.
Wednesday: I went up to school and worked in my classroom. I even got to use my cordless drill to put together some bookcases. Let me just tell you, there is something about being a girl and using this drill that is very empowering...just ask Deanna - I have more tools than most guys our age. :) While at school, I got a phone call from my sweet Grace thanking me for the flowers I sent her. (Her mom, Kerry, is one of my closest friends from way back in elementary school.) I knew Grace would be starting kindergarten the next day, so I thought I would send her some pink tulips to tell her that I was thinking of her. My favorite part: "Mommy, Kristy sent me bubble wrap!" Kerry's reply: "Keep looking, Grace. I think there's something else in there." LOL.
Thursday: I went up to our district's administration building to edit some district-wide assessments. Since this was a paying endeavor, I was much more excited about it than my previous work for the district this week. :) Sharon, my department head at school, and I always make the most of our time together, and we've gotten very good at entertaining ourselves and each other at these things. When I got home from this, I had to drop Deanna off at the airport. She's currently visiting some friends of ours in Florida. Lucky!
Sharon called and asked if I would rather teach a PSAT class instead of senior English. Apparently, we have a teacher leaving, and now the schedule is up in the air. God definitely worked this one out. I already have PSAT training from working at Huntington (where I tutor), and this class will be less work (as far as planning/reading) than senior English. Praise the Lord!
Friday: Ah, Friday. I slept late. :) I worked on some things around the apartment and crossed a few off of the to-do list. Then I went shopping for some "professional" clothes for school. When you're my age and height, it's important to invest in things that actually help you look like the teacher.
Saturday: Today I worked at HLC for a few hours with a first-day student. His name is Greg, and he's going into eighth grade. He was so fun to work with...we bonded over long division. :) Since I only had to work from 9:00-11:00, I had planned to go work in my classroom, but I think I've just decided to stay here and relax. :)
I am trying to get better at updating and adding in fun stories. Maybe I will learn to post more than once a week. Don't give up on me!
2 comments:
YAY!!! You posted!! Woo-hoo! We love you!
Hey! 1st--thanks for the birthday message! 2nd--I definitely understand the whole clothes thing--I'm in the same boat. It's like you either look like a teenager or an old woman, so which is better? :)
3rd--I hope you have a wonderful school year. I am teaching 10th grade World History again this year and will start working on my classroom on Monday. Again, have a great year
Post a Comment